A year ago the hubs and I embarked on this journey known as business ownership. We went into it with all the hope in the world that everything would be balloons and rainbows and we'd soon be rubbing elbows with the likes of Donald Trump & Bill Gates. P.S.: Not really, but we had very high hopes anyway. We closed our doors today and ironically enough we have not lost our hope in dreaming and realizing those dreams. In fact, we have gained a lot more than we "lost." Walking away from this journey I feel that we have come out of it with such a significant learning experience, for which I will be eternally grateful. I don't regret it one bit and I'd do it all over again. I had an absolute blast doing it and learned that "hey! I may be good at this!" Of course, in this crappy economy we're all living in, tough decisions must be made and one must just accept when the time to move on has made its appearance. Our time came, a wonderful opportunity for the future presented itself out of thin air and we decided that an awesome job in this economy doesn't just come out of thin air! It was a sign that I needed to take this blessing and run with it! So... I did.
5:00 p.m. arrived today and I officially closed my doors to our retail space. With that came a sense of accomplishment, believe it or not. I thought to myself "Man! Whatever I've wanted to do in my 31 years, I've done! I could die today and not have any regrets!" I wanted to go to Europe, I did it! I wanted to be a lawyer, I did it! I wanted to be an actress, I did it! I wanted to be an interior decorator, I did it! I wanted to be a blogger and I did it! I wanted to marry the love of my life and I did it! Hell, I wanted to be an opera singer and yes... I did that too!! I wanted to own my own boutique and that experience came to me as well. The one thing, however, that I wanted to do and loved doing the most... was teaching. Anyone who knows me well (I'm talking people who've known me for years) will tell you that they've never seen me as much in my element as they did when I taught. So, perhaps my bohemian leanings of dabbling in many, many things and changing paths frequently may not appeal to some people. But, to me... it's been a life worth living. Of course, there comes a time when we must "grow up." Now... don't get me wrong... this doesn't mean you may not see me in an upcoming production of Cats or something, but... I have come to the realization that I am now, finally ready to "settle down" and do what I truly love from the bottom of my heart. Of course, blogging and vintage buying & selling are also passions of mine and I will still do that as a hobby. But, I am entering this chapter of my life with joy and a sense of relief. Relief that I may now... finally... be "home."
I want to extend a thank you to all of you who read my little blog and who've e-mailed me with such kind words. Some of you have even stopped into the shop to meet me! You guys made this past year worth every second!! So thank you! Reminder: The blog will continue as usual, as will our Etsy shop. So, stop by and visit often. We'd love to have you. : ) Good night!
Happy Decorating!
Mina
Bookmark and Share
 
Top