The pic is blurry because I was buzzing with anticipation.
Or I was buzzing from the 2.2kg of danish shortbread we ate in 2 weeks.
First we sanded the piece using a belt sander. We went through about two belts because the finish was so gunky. Shoulda cleaned or chemically stripped it first. In any case, I followed up with chemical stripper and hand sanding where the belt couldn't reach. Then we cleaned the surface and taped off the pattern. I applied left over paint from painting our walls (and trim and doors!) with a brush and wiped with a rag for a slightly white washed look on the top. The rest of the piece got two opaque coats plus a bit of touch up. I waited 24 hours in between coats. I plan to add a clear coat to protect the natural wood.