H ello BohoVin readers! It's so nice to "see" you all again. : ) It's been too long. When I conjured up thoughts of Monday's article, the pillow came to mind. : ) I like pillows. They signify rest, sleep, relaxation, etc... Mid-Century design also represents a calm, quiet, simple retreat. So, what better marriage than the good 'ol pillow and Mid-Century design? Like my long, needless train of thought? Yes... I know. Brilliant. (please note my sarcastic tone). : ) But, in all seriousness, however, pillows are just a fantastic way to revamp a room. Regardless of the style you choose to stick with. They can do wonders to add a bit of "umph" to a room.
I hope all of you are doing well out there in Internet land! We've been doing good down here at the BohoVin residence! The hubs is good, the dogs and kitty are good. All good. : ) Thank goodness! I'm happy to be teaching this year and it's been super rewarding! The kids are just awesome. So smart and pleasant. I'm the luckiest teacher ever! : ) Here's an awesome story I found in our teacher's lounge today, which just made me feel really great about going back to my original career of teaching. My beloved career. Enjoy...
WHAT DO TEACHERS MAKE?
The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life.
One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided her best option in life was to become a teacher?"
To stress this point he said to another guest, "You're a teacher, Barbara. Be honest. What do you make?"
Barbara, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You want to know what I make?" (she paused for a second, and then began...)
"Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.
I make a C+ feel like a Congressinal Medal of Honor winner.
I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can't make them sit for 5 minutes without an I Pod, Game Cube, or movie rental.
You want to know what I make? (She paused again and looked at each and every person at the table)
I make kids wonder.
I make them question.
I make them apologize and mean it.
I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.
I teach them to write and then I make them write. Keyboarding isn't everything.
I make them read, read, read.
I make them show all their work in math. They use their God given brain, not the man-made calculator.
I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know about English while preserving their unique cultural identity.
I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.
I make my students stand, placing their hand over their heart to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, One Nation Under God, because we live in the United States of America.
Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life. (Barbara paused one last time and then continued.)
Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, with me knowing that money isn't everything, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant.
You want to know what I make?
I MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
What do you make, Mr. CEO?
His jaw dropped, he went silent.
This one is for all my fellow teachers out there!! Keep making a difference! Whether you blog to teach readers about something you love (decorating, design, fashion, personal finance, etc...) or you're in the trenches teaching our youth... keep at it!!!
Happy Decorating!
Mina
 
Top