"It was a singularly mixed world composed of all the talents and tarnished by all the vices; a world where the same fatigue and the same fever appeared in every face" Emile Zola in NanaWhile reading these lines on the beach last week, I immediately thought of the Palais Garnier in Paris, otherwise known as the Paris Opera House. Indeed, the whole book has me thinking of the age of opulence.
One can still hear the rustle of silk from the courtesans that once wandered its' halls.
Rather than talk about the ornate-ness of the building, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.The famous grand staircase, rather dimly lit and hard to capture with my little camera.One of many hallways meant to contain crowds gathered here to socialize; love the oak chevron patterned floors. The grand foyer, possibly the most over-the-top room I've ever set foot in; it took my breath away.
So much intricate detail that the eye simply cannot focus; so much gold and shine that light is not needed.
If you get the chance, make sure to visit the Paris Opera House!
 
Top