I think there's some weird Steve Irwin channelling going on here...I never say crikey!
OK, so I know strictly speaking that's not a galah...it's a sulphur crested cockatoo...which is actually a type of parrot (or so I'm reliably informed by the Australia Zoo), but c'mon (oh dear, now I've gone all Lleyton Hewitt on you)..I've never been one for letting the facts get in the way of a good story...
So, the reason that I feel like a bit of a goose galah is this...last week, I was given a very lovely award...this one...
..by Darnonymous who writes the Satisfy my Soul blog...and I haven't acknowledged it publicly...and that makes me feel really bad. Scoot on over to Dar's blog...she writes some wicked and funny things about real life, and  makes me especially glad that I no longer have small kidlets...although I'm sure hers are perfectly lovely. And she strips, sands and paints stuff too.
So, where was I...cockatoos...the teapot above is in the Anthropologie range...is this because they now ship to Australia I wonder?  They also have this...which I quite like...

and this... less sure about that...much prefer my free Inside Out teatowel



...which makes me a tad suspicious about their motives (that was a joke, you know that right? I have my eye on some of their stuff)...and while I can't be sure that these birds are only found here (and in New Guinea...I do know that)...because I'm a bit too tired to do that much research... they're sure as heck iconically Australian...found in backyards all over the country, stripping the leaves from beautiful trees!
Want to see some real ones...course you do...

And because I know you're beside yourself wanting some cockatoo facts...
These birds are naturally curious creatures, as well as very intelligent.
These parrots produce a very fine powder to waterproof themselves instead of oil as many other creatures do. [who would have thought?]
These birds are very long-lived, and can live upwards of 70 years in captivity, although they only live to about 20–40 years in the wild. [it's tough out there in the wild you know]
Sulphur-crested Cockatoos, along with many other parrots, are susceptible to a widespread viral disease known as Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease, which causes the birds to lose their feathers and grow grotesquely shaped beaks....ewwww (highly educated editorial comment)

And while I think they look quite beautiful...unless they've got that beak and feather disease thing going on... they screech like a demented fishwife, and that is highly unattractive and a huge insult to fishwives.
Bet you wish I'd stopped at the teapot now don't you?
I won't be posting tomorrow bloggy people. The very nice Canadian Grace from Sense and Simplicity and I are working on a bit of a project which we will reveal on Thursday morning...provided we can work out the time zones properly that is. She's set me a difficult task I have to tell you, so I'll be working hard trying to do her proud. I'm not confident!  So till then, as my best friend Jo says...love ya loads.
cockatoo facts from here (I didn't make them up you know!); images from anthropologie and google

p.s. I didn't mean to bold that bit about the screeching...I just can't make it go away :(
 
Top