I saw Brideshead revisted last night, the movie I blogged about a week or so ago HERE. A few people have asked me what I thought about it, so I'll cover my bases here. I'm not sure what I thought of it. On the one hand, it was a visual feast - the filmography was reminicent of Atonement I think - beautifully shot. The 'sets' were of course magnificent -how could they not be as they were shot on location.
However.............You know how I wondered how they could fit 8 hours into 2 hours and 15 minutes? They cut out about 3/4 of the story - it whizzed by me like a motorcyclist on a suicide mission. You never got a clear understanding of many of the characters as they were confined to one-liner transparent characterizations. The beauty of the book and of the miniseries from 1981 is that they explore these characters, flush them out (the miniseries perhaps more in depth than the novel in some ways).
However, I realize if you have no prior experience with Brideshead Revisited -you might not notice. If you see it and think something is missing however -IT IS! But definitely go to see it if only for the sets and costumes alone - and also the brilliant Emma Thompson who is marvelous - gurlfriend can ACT!
 
Top