After the fiasco of our last retro recipe (crab corn casserole) I knew I needed a sure thing.  Dessert seemed like the logical answer - after all who doesn't love pie?  and chocolate? So for today's retro recipe I give you chocolate chiffon pie.
 The recipe comes from my 1966 Better and Homes and Gardens Pies and Cakes cookbook.
We will be making the pie pictured in the top right corner.  Look closely because you will not be seeing anything else that looks remotely like this picture.

Our assembled ingredients.  I can't believe I actually purchased REAL milk and COOL WHIP!  It's been years I tell ya.

At this point I was wondering if I was actually making a chiffon pie or a mud pie.

Another reason to love pie.  The crust is sooo pretty.

After I added the cool whip to the chocolate mixture.
 Tell me this is not completely gorgeous!  I know it doesn't look anything like the picture in the cookbook, but still......right?
 On to the recipe with my changes in red.

CHOCOLATE CHIFFON PIE

1 envelope (1 tablespoon) unflavored gelatin
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
2 1-ounce squares unsweetened chocolate (I used 3 squares because, hey, more chocolate is more chocolate)
2 2-once packages dessert topping mix (huh?) or 2 cups whipping cream (I couldn't possible be expected to buy cows milk and cream could I?  No.  So, I substituted 2 cups of cool whip instead)
1 baked 9 -inch pastry shell
1 bag of HEATH toffee bits (because toffee bits are always a good idea - right?)

Combine gelatin, sugar, and dash salt (oops, I left this out) in sauce pan.  Add milk; cut chocolate in small pieces and add.  Cook and stir over medium heat till gelatin is dissolved and chocolate is melted.  (Mixture will be chocolate flecked.)  Chill, stirring occasionally, (I did this every 15 minutes for about an hour) till mixture mounds.  Prepare dessert topping mix according to package directions or whip cream (see above).  Fold into gelatin mixture.  Pile into cooled pastry Shell.  Chill till firm.  If desired, trim with additional whipped cream or chocolate curls (toffee bits to the rescue.)

Braxton, who is not  much of a dessert person, really liked this pie.  SCORE!

The plate I chose for this picture is our wedding china, which I use fairly often.  Did YOU choose china when you were married?  Do you use it often?  If you are single, do you anticipate choosing wedding china? 
Have a beautiful weekend everyone. 
Enjoy your chocolate chiffon pie!
YANCEY
 
Top