s I reviewed all of my Alt Summit 2011 notes today, I felt like I should have been more on my game and been taking better notes!! There was so much to learn and I wish I could have gobbled it allll up and brought back ooodles and ooodles of notes. But, then again... I was never the greatest student. To this day it is a grand mystery to me how I've made it through multiple degrees in a successful manner with more than decent grades. Complete and utter mystery. Well, nevertheless... here are some notes. Okay. In the last re-cap I went over "Growing Your Community." You can see the notes for that post here. That was the first class I took on Day 1 of Alt. Now I will give you my notes for the second class I took on Day 1...
- Seasonality is important with ads. Sponsors can be based on seasons.
- Sponsor and be sponsorable.
- Measure your digital footprint. Know your unique hits and specifit metrics.
- Have a press page for your blog.
- Know thyself and what sponsors align well with your blog's message.
- Disclose when promoting a sponsored product.
- Consider having sponsored events.
- Remember that advertisers are people too when pitching to them.
- Pitch to your passions.
- Know your worth.
- Foster e-mails from PR firms.
- Research posted ad rates on complimentary blogs.
- Contact bloggers for advice on ad rates. Most bloggers would be happy to help guide you.
- Have a media kit right away.
So there you have it folks! The rest of the day on Day 1 I took an Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator class taught by Alma Loveland of Ollibird. Um... awesome teacher. Me? Not so awesome. Lost. Most of the time. Found my way though. Eventually... figured it out. Was quite proud of myself in the end.