I truly love my locally owned independent movie theatre. However, they are not always showing a movie that I want to shell out $8.00 to see. So, Braxton and I have joined netflix. With that in mind, I would like to start a his and hers movie review, every Wednesday. I of course will be the "hers" and Braxton will be the "his" which should be the perfect excuse for him to join me in blogging. Let's see what happens.

First of all, let me tell you what I look for in a movie. Like most women I love a good romance, but I also love beauty, mystery, symbolism and spirituality. What I don't like in a movie is any type of violence unless absolutely necessary to the story, that includes gore and horror.

Our first netflix movie was The Namesake. I have not read the book, but our daughter had seen the movie and recommended it so us and I have to say she was right. I do love movies about foreign countries and different cultures, yet I'm not crazy about sub-titles, which this movie does not have. Without giving too much away, it's the story of a first generation Indian-American who no longer wishes to use the name his parents gave him, he wants something more american. That's all I'll say about the story.

Now, does The Namesake fit my criteria for a good movie? Actually, it does. Did I LOVE this move, not exactly, and frankly I can't really tell you why. Am I just a horrible movie reviewer?

It was enjoyable, definitely worth the two hours spent, yet, not one I would see a second time.


If any of you have seen The Namesake please let me know your thoughts. I'm talking to you Braxton!

Peace,

Yancey
 
Top